Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Perfect

I'm getting married!
Woohoo!
So, the now fiance (I can't remember how to get that handy little accent over the e) proposed on Saturday after we flew down to San Diego. I knew it was going to be a big day, but I had NO idea that he had the most amazing day ever in store for us! I'm being all scatter-brained. Focus!
Ok. So, Friday he was gone all day "planning" stuff and getting some guy time in. But, the whole truth is that he was in San Diego arranging a car, making reservations at restaurants, scouting out proposal locations, etc. I had no idea. I thought maybe he was in San Francisco doing these things. It blows my mind that he would fly to and fro and spend months planning and brain-storming…
He told me on the phone Friday that he had taken work off for me on Saturday and to be ready by 6:45am. Like, the most ungodly time ever. But I really have no room to complain at all, haha. I was definitely running a little late and didn't have my hair done or anything, but I finished it in the car. All this prep in the car kept me preoccupied as we drove to the airport, but once I noticed we were there, I called it. "Are we going to San Diego?". Yep!
Segue. San Diego is a very special place to his family. His parents met there and his father proposed to his mother there, so it's pretty sentimental. And it has the best combination of my favorite two things: the city and the beach. The beach stretches for miles there and the weather is typically perfect, so it's a safer bet than my usual stomping grounds in Northern California.
Once we got there, we drove to Saffron Thai for lunch. I wish I could tell you where it was and everything, but I know almost nothing about San Diego. Before this weekend, I'd only ever gone to visit the zoo, haha. But I highly recommend this place. It was so good! And really adorable. The staff was so accommodating and helpful. My favorite part was the food, second favorite was that they sell picnic baskets full of food to those looking to head to the beach or a park. Such a great idea! I really recommend the Drunken Noodles, which is what I always get. Aside from the occasional green curry.
Anyway.
After lunch, we headed over to Torrey Pines State Park. It was so beautiful and right on the water. They charge a $10 fee for entering the park (ugh), but it's so worth it. We drove up to a short trail leading to a lookout and just enjoyed the view. Or so I was thinking. Suddenly, the fiance is asking the by-standers if they can give us a minute and we were all by ourselves. Haha, I wonder what was about to happen…
So we prayed and he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. Guess what I said?
The people standing behind us clapped and snapped pictures, offering their congratulations and asking for our email address. I can't wait to see those pictures!
We took a while afterward to laugh and act like little kids, jumping around and being really excited. Then we just stared at the ring for a while. It's so beautiful! I'm really glad we went with Brilliant Earth. I'll write another post about it.
The fiance took video of the lookout and I waited for things to settle in. It's so surreal sometimes and it's been a long time coming. The mother-in-law to be says I have the patience of a saint :) just kidding, but she really did say that.
The timing was perfect, the place was perfect, the ring was perfect….
This, I'm certain, is what happens when you honor God with your relationship.
We eventually collected ourselves and headed all the way down to the beach. What is it with guys and proposals and hikes? ;) Just kidding, J. And that was perfect, too. We called our families and looked at hermit crabs and shells and some other visitors took more pictures. The people of San Diego are so ridiculously nice.
I was so happy to be there in my element. It was so great to get away and spend some time by the water.
With my future husband :)
We spent the rest of the day doing crazy fairytale stuff, like a gondola ride with singing and chocolate covered strawberries…slightly out of my comfort zone, but hey. It's the kind of thing you only do once. I turned down a carriage ride and we then headed to Coronado. It was so beautiful. We were there just in time for sunset and walked around the beach and admired the Del before leaving for dinner at Candelas. Of course, the whole waitstaff knew we had just gotten engaged because the fiance had told them the day before about his plan. There were roses on the table and the restaurant bought us a celebratory dessert. The view from the restaurant was amazing- it was facing downtown across the bay. We took our time and stared at the ring some more before we had to leave to drop off the car and wait for our driver to pick us up and take us back to the airport. We landed in Sacramento around 10:00pm and had a little celebration with our families. It was a wonderful day. I'm so impressed that he had all of this planned out. It feels so right to take this step in our relationship now, like it's just the natural progression of things.
Perfect timing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment