Thursday, September 30, 2010

Things I Like

Alright, I mentioned in my last post that I say "I love blah" a lot. I do, I admit it. I throw the word around.
We all do…
But I really do want to stop. It's a bad habit. Bad.
I wish there was more than one form of the word love, like in C.S. Lewis' book The Four Loves. In Greek, there are four different words which all essentially mean love.
Genius.
Anyway. This post is about things I'm currently liking a lot. I will not say "loving" in regards to a nonperson. Girlscout's honor.
I was never a Girlscout…but you know what I mean.
Ok, first thing. I'm liking renewed friendships.
I love my friends (hey, they are persons!). I really dislike holding grudges against people I was once close to. There's nothing like forgiving and letting go of whatever "hurt" you think someone has caused you. It's seriously liberating. And chances are, the hurt was not inflicted intentionally.
When I am ready to get over myself and forgive someone fully, it's like a huge weight is lifted from my shoulders. Or like the world is right-side up again. A breath of fresh air.
So what are you waiting for? Forgive someone.
"Forgive us as we forgive those who sin against us."
Yikes, I better get even better at forgiving. Convicted.
Next thing. Impact.
I like impact. I seriously typed "love" in that last sentence and had to rewrite it. Bad.
So, impact. I'm still figuring this out, but so far it means, "catalyzing change". Change is hard, but good. Positive change is the best.
I like being impacted by the people around me and in return, impacting them.
Mostly, impacting a community or something. San Francisco's been on my heart a lot lately. I really like this city- it's one of my favorite places. I love the people who live in this city. I don't know what will happen with this, but I'm open to whatever…
Third thing: San Francisco.
Nice segue, right? If I decided to serve in any city, it would be San Francisco. This place is tough, crowded, busy, beautiful, diverse…a little bit of everything. Not to mention the amazing coffee culture. The Gibraltar was born at Blue Bottle Cafe in SF, did I mention that? Home of Blue Bottle, Ritual, Fourbarrel, Sightglass…yum. My favorite Thai place is in the city, too.
And the ocean. Hello? Ya. 
Not to mention the cupcakes.
And the homeless. Wow. I took a guy to dinner once when I was in San Francisco who was living on the street due to depression and anxiety. I took another lady some food who had been widowed and had no where else to go. I've met boys who lost everything while moving to the city and have no options. What are these people going to do to get the help they need?
So many options.
Another thing:
"Something in the Water" by Brooke Fraser. So fun. And totally different from her other songs. It's the best midday encourager- super upbeat and sweet. And the music video has a really cute Eskimo in it. Her new album Flags is available for preorder on iTunes. And guess what? She's got a show in San Francisco in December!
Clothes and Makeup:
Blushable Creme Sticks from NYC and Jumbo Eye Pencils from NYX (Creme Cheese is great for highlighting). And Perfectly Real Makeup from Clinique. And Korres Face Primer (which is paraben and silicone free and smells like citrus). And Stilla Blush in Creme.
I tried the LashBlast Lengthening formula this month and I don't know if it's my favorite mascara, but I like it more than the original LashBlast.
I've had Palladio's loose rice powder for a while but I'm just realizing now how much I like it. Yay!
Clinique's Long Last Glosswear in Guava Gold is lovely but sticky.
By the way, I've had this stuff for a while. It's just the first time I've mentioned it! The mascara is new.
And Old Navy. Who knew? I'm so excited about it. So comfy! And cute.
Sweaters from H&M. Comfy as well.
And cuffed straight-leg jeans.
I'm also adoring the idea of fall. It's not fall here yet, we're still getting 90 degree weather. Ew. But, hopefully it'll cool down soon. Fall is better for coffee drinking, baking, bundling up and enjoying the outdoors (at least in my area it is. no one wants to go outside in this heat). And fall means midterm and Thanksgiving break as well as a trip to Tahoe and San Francisco! Yay!
These are the things I really like right now :)
Oh, and a side note: everyone's making fun of Katy Perry's schoolgirl outfit from her SNL performance. It's really what girls from my Catholic high school would wear minus the sequins. I kid you not!

No comments:

Post a Comment